Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sunday, 19 July 2009 -- First Impressions of Africa


Sunday, 19 July 2009 We all arrived in Zimbabwe as planned, even Beau and even our 9 pieces of luggage (that alone is a small miracle). Breezed right through the airport in Harare and were whisked right to our house. Everything and I do mean everything had been freshly painted and the two main bathrooms had been completely redone with an additional half bath thrown in for good measure. The house was far nicer than we had anticipated. It is still a little funky, that 1915 Colonial Farmhouse thing makes for a rabbit warren type of layout, but it is large, excessively charming and very very comfortable. Now we just have the long wait till our stuff arrives and then we can truly settle in. As nice as the house is, we were completely blown away by the garden. It is 5 acres of the most beautiful mature landscaped, terraced and pathed garden I have ever seen. Nearly all the plants in the garden are familiar as they are the same plants I grew up with in California, bottle brush trees, avocados, yucca, queen palms, a huge variety of succulents like jade plants, ferns... more than I can name. It also includes a beautiful sparkling (and very COLD) pool, a completely resurfaced tennis court with lights and backboard and a koi pond. It is dead of winter here right now and the gardeners (it takes 3 to take care of it) have told us it is not as green or as lush as it will be by the end of Aug. I cannot imagine it more green or more lush so we will just have to see. There are also large garden plots we can use where apparently anything you stick in the ground grows. The kids and I have decided to start with tomatoes, strawberries, watermelon, pumpkin and an herb garden. Folks here, both Embassy and locals have been great, friendly and very welcoming. Charlotte and I went shopping yesterday with a neighbor and found quite a lot of good things. Not a lot of American items, but more than enough fun substitutes. The fruit and veg were also very very nice, quite a lot locally grown and lots of imports as well. Prices were about the same as the States. Since the adoption of the US dollar, there are no good deals. I can't wait to really begin exploring the area. This is a car city, very little to no public transport, which means driving everywhere or walking. My car is ready to go, just need to get the insurance taken care of on monday and I will have legal wheels to drive around. I have to say that the right hand drive thing takes a bit to get used to. I have taken to calling left turns (which feel like right turns) right turns. Ed does not appreciate this when I am navigating. I also continue to try to enter the car from the wrong side! We'll get used to it I am sure. Next week we will got out to the kids school to get them registered and to have a look around. School starts early here, 4 Aug, which I cannot say I am sorry about. They need to get into a routine and meet some more kids. They seem to understand that too and are not moaning too much about their early start date. We have had a very full summer... FYI- Our mailing address is: 2180 Harare Place Dulles, VA 20189

More soon. Love, Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment