Thursday, June 10, 2010

Poinsettias in May





May here in the Southern Hemisphere heralds in winter much as November does in the Northern Hemisphere. Sweatshirts and fleece are coming out of closets as the mornings have a distinct chill in the air. Daytime temperatures are still reaching well into the upper 70's, which is lovely, but without that long hot day upon you feeling. Throughout this first year in Zimbabwe I have paid particular attention to the plants, some familiar as there are many of the same plants I grew up with in California, jade plants, bird of paradise, avocado trees, bottlebrush trees and many that I recognize but don't know their names. Our garden is one of my my favorite things here in Zimbabwe, there is something new to discover every time you take a look. Here are some of the more interesting plants in the garden.




I know, this isn't a plant, it's a locust and they ate a tree near our vehicle gate.
I love these! They feel rubbery to touch.
This is a poinsettia, I have never seen one with such small flowers. I call it the snowball tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment